Thursday, July 24, 2008

work beer.

work beer [wurk (bîr)] :

–noun

1. A non-fermented non-alcoholic beverage not-brewed from malt or flavored with hops that can and will be imbibed at a quick rate in front of an employer and yet you still don't look like a drunk. I mean, kind of, but not a complete drunk.
2. An illusion of an alcoholic beverage made to trick the mind into being hammered, but you're not. You're still at work. Yup, still there.
3. Any non-alcoholic carbonated drink that can be consumed quickly at work to simulate stress relief and imitate a buzz-induced state. But, not really about the buzz part, I made that up.
4. Perrier.

Example: I just bonged a work beer so I'm not so nervous for my presentation. Or, I'm so wasted off this work beer I could chug two more! Or, My boss is so annoying I could slam four work beers without even batting an eyelash. Or, Work beer?! I don't even know her!

[Origin: bef. 1000; ME bere, OE béor; c. OS, OHG bior, MLG, MD bér, D, G Bier (ON bjōrr, prob. < OE); of disputed and ambiguous orig.]

No comments: